Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Update: The Arrival

The happy traveler did prove to be very useful. There was not long line at customs, and we ended up going right through. I'd expressed before that I didn't know if I would hug * or what... The or what is what scared me. He was in a rush to get to work, and my second bag took forever to come off of the luggage carousel. As I grabbed my second bag, I realized, this would be it.

There he is. I say a brief hello. I can tell he's nervous. I'm nervous too, but it's obvious that I have the upper hand. We stand together waiting for the bus to come, and then it happens.
In his friendly "Idon'treallyknowwhattosay" voice, "Heyyyyyy There! C'mere." He gives me a hug. I don't know if I want to stay strong or if I want to give in, let my knees buckle and fall into his arms.
His heart is beating so fast, so intensely, that I can feel it when he hugs me.
I decide to stay strong. "Emotions are for the weak ," I say to myself.
He lets me hear a new song he's been working. Cute enough (and therefore lame enough) we shared his iPod for the listen. A few brief words exchanged but not many. I praised my body for not betraying me at this point, not cracking too many smiles.
Well, we get to his job, and thankfully, he has to go right in to work.
I get time to think, to sort out this swirl of emotions. And what a swirl it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment